Help for survivors of
sexual abuse & assault

Sex With Minors Lawyer in Kansas

Having sexual intercourse or sexual contact of any kind with a minor is a criminal offense in Kansas and constitutes sexual abuse. It is a crime that can have serious long-term effects for a survivor, both physically and psychologically. If you or a loved one is a victim of unlawful sex or sexual abuse with a minor, please contact our lawyers at DRZ Law to discuss your legal options. Our compassionate Kansas rape victim attorneys offer free and confidential case consultations.

What Is the Age of Consent in Kansas?

The age of consent is the age at which someone is legally considered old enough to have the mental capacity to give his or her informed consent to sexual activity. In Kansas, the age of consent is 16 years old. Anyone who is under 16 cannot legally give his or her consent to sexual conduct or activity. Anyone who engages in sexual intercourse with someone who is 15 or younger is committing statutory rape.  

There are no exceptions in Kansas for two people who are close in age (often called a Romeo and Juliet Law). Between the ages of 16 and 18 in Kansas, an individual can legally consent to sexual activity. However, that does not make sex with a minor who is under the age of 18 legal. These crimes can still carry charges, such as aggravated indecent liberties with a child, which in Kansas is a class 3 felony. 

Where Does Sex With Minors Occur Most Often in Kansas?

There are many places where a minor may be taken advantage of by sexual abusers in Kansas. Children may be groomed by sexual predators from an early age, such as an adult buying gifts for a child or giving a child special attention. Sex with a minor may also be committed by an older adolescent in various settings. Common examples of these sex crimes include:

  • School sexual abuse. Sex with a minor can take place at a boarding school, private school, public school, military school, or college or university. These sex crimes can be committed by teachers, coaches,  or fellow students.
  • Clergy sexual abuse. Members of the clergy, such as priests and bishops, may use their trusted positions in a religious institution to sexually abuse or rape minors in their congregations.
  • Medical professional sexual abuse. Although parents trust medical professionals to help their children – not harm them – some pediatricians may take advantage of their positions to assault minor patients.

Regardless of the sexual conduct or where or how sex with a minor takes place in Kansas, it is a crime that can come with criminal and civil penalties. As a victim or the parent of a victim, you have the right to speak up and hold someone accountable for this egregious act.

What Are Your Legal Rights as a Victim or Parent? 

If you or your child has been taken advantage of by someone who engaged in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, you may have the right to file a lawsuit against one or more parties. A civil lawsuit can hold an individual or institution accountable for the crime, as well as end in financial compensation for your related losses. Bringing a lawsuit in addition to pressing criminal charges against a perpetrator for statutory rape can give you a greater sense of justice.

Filing a lawsuit against a school district, church, hospital or another institution for the sexual assault of a minor could pay your family for many related expenses, such as medical bills, therapies, pain and suffering, mental and emotional trauma, and legal fees. Holding an institution accountable for sex with a minor rather than only the perpetrator/sex offenders increases the chances of fair and full financial compensation. It can also push for changes to the system, potentially protecting others from the same crimes.

Request a Free Consultation With a Lawyer in Kansas Today

At DRZ Law, our lawyers are specialized in cases that involve sex with minors, and have more than 20 years of experience representing the parents of minors who have been sexually abused, raped and physically harmed. We can help you go up against an institution that betrayed your trust and allowed sex with a minor to occur. Please contact our attorneys about your unlawful sex with a minor case today, to start with a free consultation. We are here for you during this difficult time. Call (913) 400-2033.

We are open and available during Covid-19 via Zoom/video chat or in-person. Contact us if you have any questions. Close